Discerning God's calling



One of my most beloved passages in the Bible is when God calls the boy Samuel.  Though I love the entire story my favorite part reads this way:  "So the LORD called Samuel again for the third time.  And he arose and went to Eli and said, 'Here I am, for you called me.'  {Here's one of my favorite phrases}  Then Eli DISCERNED that the LORD was calling the boy ..."


I remember I often worried about missing or not knowing when God called me when I first became saved.

"What do you want me to do Lord," I would eagerly ask?  "Speak to me Lord.,"

I don't worry about that anymore.  As with anything in life, experience is the best teacher, and in growing in faith I've learned that our Father is always willing to show His children the path they should take.  I'm not certain of many things, but when it comes to God—thankfully, there are many, many things we can be certain of.  One of those certainties is: If you or I want to be led by God, without a doubt He will lead us.

How much confidence do you have in your Shepherd leading you?


Can you (or I) offer ourselves to Him without any reservations whatsoever and be determined to do what He says?

So how do you know when He is calling you?


God calls us in the rhythm of our lives every day. It's an ongoing process day-by-day.  I use to think that there would be one TREMENDOUS call.   God comes in the small things...in our ordinary duties, those duties which our place in life entails.

What does that mean? 
It means that where ever you are in your life's journey, you are to do what you know to do...if you are a child, the duty in which your life entails is for you to be obedient to your parents and teachers.

If you're a man who is married then you know one of your callings is to love your wife. And women we are to be submissive to our husbands.  As citizens of the USA we are to obey the law of the land.  Singles are to refrain from sexual immorality...you get the picture?

Often times we try and make the call of God on our lives complicated and complex when it is neither.  Our conscience frequently has the answer to "The will of God" all we have to do is be obedient.  It is in being obedient to the call of today that He reveals the call of tomorrow.

If you become more discerning you are likely to see the will of God in the every day happenings of your life...you see them in things that are seemingly insignificant happenings.

..."for while we live, move, and have our being here on earth, in this place, this family, this house, this job, we live move, and have our being in God."  He "pulls strings through circumstances," as Jim Elliot said, even the bad circumstances.

Here are three questions that may help to clarify the call of God:

  1. Have I made up my mind to do what God says no matter what the cost?
  2. Am I faithfully reading the Bible—God's Word and praying?
  3. Am I obedient in what I know to do today of His will?



Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for you I lift up my soul. ~ Psalm 143:8 NIV
Will He carry us?
He will carry us in His arms til we are able to walk;
He will carry us when we are weary with walking.
He will not carry us if we will not walk.



~ George MacDonald, The Hope of the Gospel

:::

a repost from the archives.  One I needed to revisit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!