Instruction from the wise

Godly instruction is great and should be carried out regardless of who the messenger is.  However, Godly instruction (wisdom from the wise)  from our elderly is becoming more and more priceless.  As I get older I'm learning that "older" and gray head doesn't necessarily mean "wise" as I believed when I was younger.  Even more treasured is wisdom which comes from a mother or father-in-law.

Moses...the leader of the Hebrews was blessed to have such a father-in-law. A wise man. 

I've been reading through Exodus.  I've laughed and I've cried.  At times I have felt as if I were watching a movie—  I mean come on : "Moving clouds."  "Wheels coming off of chariots." Confusion.  Reading Exodus has been sheer delight...so much so that at times my family runs in to see what's going on after witnessing my loud comments and delight!  It's been a pleasurable experience.



I don't know about you, but I am, or at least I thought I was pretty familiar with the ten commandments.  You know ... Moses going up to Mount Sinai to write them, etc?  I found out that I wasn't as familiar with them or their background (how they came about) as I thought. I remember reading the story of Moses' father-in-law telling him that "the thing that you are doing is not good." after witnessing that Moses judged the people alone.  The Scripture says in verse 13 of chapter 18, "It came about the next day that Moses sat to judge the people, and the people stood about Moses from the morning until the evening."

It just didn't dawn on me that this  was the beginning ...  one of the motivating factors to the need of the commandments.  Turns out that up until Moses wrote the Law the people had no written law—only the counsel of Moses.  It seems that before Moses stepped into the picture—God spoke to individuals as He saw fit.  I knew this, but I hadn't paid attention—given it much thought.

I ask that you take some time to read the counsel that Jethro Moses' father-in-law gave him.  It's long, but there are words of wisdom laced in these instructions.  I'm certain you will gain insight on some perspective by meditating on the dialogue between father-in-law and son-in-law:  Exodus 18:17-27

Moses' father-in-law said to him, 'The thing that you are doing is not good.  You will surely wear out, both yourself and these people who are with you, for the task is too heavy for you.  You cannot do it alone.

Now listen to me: I will give you counsel, and God be with you.  You be the people's representative before God, and you bring the disputes to God.

Then teach them the statutes and the laws, and make known to them the way in which they are to walk and the work they are to do.  Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain, and you shall place these over them as leaders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties and of tens.

Let them judge the people at all times, and let it be that every major dispute they will bring to you, but every minor dispute they themselves will judge.  So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you.

If you do this thing and God so commands you, then you will be able to endure, and all these people also will go to their place in peace.

So Moses listened to his father-in-law and did all that he had said.

Moses chose able men out of all Israel and made them heads over the people, leaders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties and of tens.

They judged the people at all times.  The difficult dispute they would bring to Moses, but every minor dispute they themselves would judge.

Then Moses bade hi father-in-law farewell, and he went his way into his own land.' 

What is the message? 

We are not lone rangers.  We're not meant to endure alone.


Don't carry your burden alone.


I know one of the things I've been guilty of is wanting to help others, but not willingly accepting help.  It's very uncomfortable for me to accept help or even ask for it.  I've been told it's pride.  I can sort of see that, but what I do know for sure is that I can get "low" when I try to do things on my own.  Be the lone ranger.  I become overwhelmed.

It's a slow process, but I'm learning with age that I can't do it ... by myself.  I get tired and worn out much easier now.  Tired and worn out Angela means a much crankier Angela.  So ...

Let's not carry our burden's alone.  Ask for help and receive instruction.  Find a God fearing, trust worthy person who can bear your burden with you.  Doing this will help us endure ...

And let me just put my side note here:  I love that Moses' father-in-law didn't linger.  He said what he had to say and moved on. 

Through Israel's experience at Mount Sinai, we learn about the importance of obedience in our relationship with God.  His laws help expose sin, and they gave standards for righteous living.

"Proper delegation can multiply our effectiveness while giving others a chance to grow." ~ NASB

And don't forget to be a person who accepts wise instruction.

This is a repost from a previous day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!