Food: a spectrum of color


 
 
I believe in purposefully emphasizing plant based food in my diet and the diet of my family.  One way I do that is by choosing a spectrum of color for our diets daily...this can become monotonous if I'm not careful.  I'll share with you as we progress into these post how I handle that.

The important thing that I try to remember is to be sure to get the variety of color in my diet daily by eating fresh fruit and vegetables.

Eat them raw.  Eat them steamed.




The Benefits:

Kale is helpful in lowering cholesterol when cooked by steaming.  Raw is effective, too, but not as effective for that particular benefit.  The fiber in this green beauty are good at binding together with bile acids in the digestive tract.  It has been said that the Isothiocyana (ITC's) are have benefits in lowering at least five different kinds of cancer such as bladder, breast, colon, ovary, and prostate.

I'm not a doctor so I don't know, but I can say that I've seen my health improve by including fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet daily.

~

Carrots are a great source of antioxidants and the riches vegetable source of vitamin A carotene's.  Carrots can help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer and also promote the health of good vision, particularly at night.

~

Avocados contain Oleic Acid, a monounsaturated fat that may assist in lowering cholesterol.  These smooth beauties are also a good source of potassium.  Potassium is good for guarding against circulatory diseases.

~
Ingredients (from Wholefoods)

1 bunch curly kale, stemmed and finely chopped
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 avocado, peeled, and pitted
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce


  1. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Use your hands or the back of a large spoon to thoroughly mash avocado into kale.
  2. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften.
Serves 4.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!