A sluggard, me?

`Go to the ant, o sluggard, observe her ways and be wise, which having no chief, officer or ruler prepares her food in the summer and gathers her provisions in the harvest." ~ Proverbs 6:6

Well!  I must say, "I am a bit offend that the Lord chose to call me a sluggard?"

"No Lord.  I am not a sluggard.  I am a tired woman," is my answer to Him.  I've changed my supplements.   I am anemic.  I am getting older...plus I have Sickle Cell traits which I am told by the doctor can keep one a bit more tired.  This tiredness of mine, though, comes and goes. And I am most assured that it is tied more into my diet of eating the wrong things more than anything else.  My body is a body that doesn't do well without wholefoods and lots and lots of raw veggies and fruits.  Plus I've slacked up on my juicing too.... 


Anyway... these are my excuses when God "shows me myself."
Lazy?  Admittedly we are no ants over here, but sluggard?  I feel as if I am in between.  Actually, it's more like:  I work and work.  I get tired, and I take time to rest. When I surveyed our home this morning, I see where their is mounds of laundry waiting to go into the washing machine.  Dusting has now become imperative, as I told the children yesterday, and I have lots of school work to work on.

I ponder about what God calls me, and I think: okay.  Is this what He's showing me because I am one who when tired... will stop?  I will stop and nap. Surely a more togethered woman would not need naps?  And she would probably manage this home and the day-to-day of it far better than me.

The reality of these thoughts causes the countenance to fall as I search heart and mind, brooding over God's-talk revelation.

"Am I really a slothful person?"

"Do I have trouble getting started?"

"Do I always say to myself, 'I'll do it later?'" 



I give gratitude for the gift of revelation.  The Father's insight.  Honest words.  Grace filled words, and the abounding mercies for today.  I plan today to work (as I plan everyday), but today...today, I will work like the ants—making the most out of my time.

"Dreaming about a thing in order to do it properly is right, but dreaming about when we should be doing it is wrong.  After our Lord had said those wonderful things to His disciples, we might have expected that He would tell them to go away and meditate over them all; but our Lord never allowed "mooning."  When we are getting into contact with God in order to find out what He wants, dreaming is right, but when we are inclined to spend our time in dreaming over what we have been told to do, it is a bad thing and God's blessing is never on it.  God's initiative is always in the nature of a stab against this kind of dreaming, the stab that bids us "neither sit nor stand but go." ~ Oswald Chambers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!