My Son, my friend

Today—Saturday was busy for me.  My husband and I got up and took our oldest daughter {16} to the bank to cash her first ever "pay check."  This was very exciting for me.  You mothers can relate to that I'm sure.  The first anything—a good anything anyway, with our children is a celebration!  So I made a big deal out of that.  After we left the bank we came home for her to get ready for work.

When I got back home I had to turn right around and leave again.  My three son's had haircut appointments.  So I rushed and got them over there, late.

Once we got back home I was elated to know that I didn't have anything to do for a few hours—finally we could get some cleaning done!  And that's what we did, the kids and we started to clean.

I told my oldest son to get the lawn mower and start on the grass.  The girls had to get their room clean.  And the other two boys were in their room cleaning.  I had  the boys who were cleaning their room, move dressers, desk and crawl underneath their beds to get trash and other debris from underneath.  It was a total chaos in that room.  Once everything was from underneath the beds and from behind the dressers and desk,  I went in their closet and pulled everything out!

Can y'all believe that the only thing they had in that closet were sheets!  Sheets that their little sisters had put in there for their bedding.  My younger girls had been sleeping in their brothers closet.  This was their pay for doing the dishes for one of the brothers.  Moving along ...



I was happy.  I was finally tackling some of the things that were begging for my attention.  After I got the kids straight on what they needed to do, I went after the laundry room.  I got it all tidy ... had every single piece of dirty laundry separated.  While I was sweeping up the remainder of the trash from that room, my 17 son {my oldest} came and sat on his bed, right next to the laundry room.  He looked a bit sad.  Later I came to discover he was feeling a bit down over not having found a job yet.

So I encouraged him.  The more encouraged he became the more he wanted to talk.  We talked.  And we talked more, and then we laughed and talked more, and laughed even more.  Soon his countenance was bright again, and I could tell his load had lighten.  Then he said, "Hey mom, wanna watch a movie with me?  Just you and me." 

"Oh no!"  I thought, glancing at the pile of clothes and the mess in the living room.  Then I looked at his face—particularly his eyes, and I saw that they were calling for his Mama. 

"Sure Son, just you and me."



He grabbed the remote and got the DVD.  I grabbed my pillow and chenille throw ... put a pair of socks on and hopped on the couch.  He turned out the light and hopped on the other end of the couch.  There my son, a boy that I had prayed and lamented for ... disciplined and taught, sat listening to me.  Now at this moment I could see that he was not only my son ... my child, but he is my friend.  There my son ... my friend and I sat laughing, talking while we watched the movie. Just he and his Mama.

I only have him for so long, and so long is looking very short these days.  Realizing this I try my best to cease every opportunity to spend time with him.  These are moments that I don't want to take for granted. 

Friends I've learned to stop.  Whenever my children want to talk or want to give me a hug or a kiss, I stop whatever I am doing to receive that gift from them.

"For this boy I prayed, and the Lord has given me my petition which I asked of Him." ~ 1 Sam. 1:27

Sometimes it gets hard doesn't it?  Life.  We long to spend time with our children...lend them our ear ... our time, but often times we are rushed with plenty to do ... just as Mary overlooked the opportunity to sit at the Savior's feet.  We parents have a tendency to overlook moments that God gives us to instruct our kids by just sitting and talking.  Listening to their heart.  When God gives us those moments we must cease them!

Sure the things that I had to do were important ... the cleaning of the house.  The preparation of dinner, but I felt like the Lord was saying to me, "Angie, Angie, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary.  Chose the good part, spend time with your son ... this time is fleeting and soon he will be out on his own.  Be still daughter.  That which you choose shall not be taken away from you." {Emphasis added}

There is absolutely nothing wrong with us being concerned about our household chores, but we must set priorities in our lives.  Spending time with our children isn't an inferior style of service to God.  Being stay-at-home moms, isn't an inferior service to God even though the world will lead us to believe that it is.

How busy are you Mom? 

"...you are worried and bothered by so many things, but only one thing is necessary ..." ~ Luke 10:41-42


Life issues get in the way, load us down and we want to give up ... but we can't.  We can't throw in the towels.  The towel of marriage ... the towel of our faith ... the towel of commitment to be home with them, to get to know them, their bents, and lead them in His direction.  For them we must stay committed to Him, and His plan.  They need to be able to count on us their flawed mama's to be committed to God's process. This is how we teach them.

Gratitude ~ 157 - 175

~ fruit of the womb
~ the messiness of it all at times
~ being watchful
~ the smiles of my children
~ helping my husband
~ the smile of my husband
~ motherhood
~ seeing the arrows take flight
~ my children finding me trustworthy
~ cooking of Sunday meals
~ seeing my daughter cash her first ever pay check!
~ guiding my children through life
~ the Bible & the many Christian women I am meeting online
~ friends who know me well
~ feeling of the sun on my skin
~ sacrifices made for family .. the giving up ... emptying of self
~ Him becoming empty for me
~ the noisy house ... sounds of life .. living
~ telephone conversations with friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!