What happens when Christians say yes to God?

'What happens when women say yes to God?"  That's the title of one of my favorite books written by Lysa Terkerust.

Today, I'm expanding that question to not only include women, but I am asking it to Christians: "What happens when we say yes to God?"

I have a very limited perspective of what I believe is possible when I say yes to God.  That is very hard to admit because I know the endless possibilities with God.  However, my actions show that though I say I believe in endless possibilities, I don't believe enough.  I don't believe to the point of accepting and doing all of what He shows me.



Instead I straddle the fence and tell Him to, "Wait."  


My actions stand more in agreement with what I don't believe than what I believe.  My mind and heart easily take over in thoughts and daydream when I think about all of the possibilities with God.  There is limitless possibilities in an array of areas for the child of God who accepts and executes the plan of action for the road God has placed them on.

Do you realize God has a plan for your life?  God has a unique adventure set aside that He has created for you and for me.


But we must do first in order to see the opportunity.  That doing begins with our mouths and hearts saying  yes.  Then the moving forward in our lane.


Throughout Scripture we will see God's proven method of either doing for us or calling us to do for Him as proof of which side of the fence we're on so to speak.  Hot.  Cold.  Luke warm?

God says "If we love Him we will keep His commandments."


By keeping the commandments of God we are able to dialogue with Him.  We can hear His voice and better understand which direction He is moving us in.

He tells us if we want to be His disciples we must carry our cross.  Those are the things that don't feel good.  The things that are not convenient.  The ugly things usually.  At least that's how my mind sees the cross.  Through growth, however, I am beginning to see in the cross how God uses those ugly things ... the inconveniences and all as a gateway to blessings.  A gateway to joy.





Then he shows us by giving Jesus as our propitiation, just how much we are loved by Him, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son..."  

God is stirred to action.  The proof of how much God loves us is shown in His actions.  The proof of how much we love God is shown in our obedience.  Period.  

If you tell me you love me I don't simply want to hear it. I want to see it.  I want you to demonstrate to me that you love me by me seeing it in your behavior.  How did Jesus know that the rich young ruler wasn't ready to follow him, though the man said with his words that he was?  The young man didn't obey.  He left ... walked away not carrying out the task given to him.

Yesterday, I sent Dr. Carolyn Miller an email sharing with her a fear that I have.  This fear has caused me to put a limit on what I allow God to do through me.  Why?  Because I never, ever think I am good enough.  I always feel as if I need to clean myself up.  Dust myself off and straighten myself out.  

I don't want to straddle the fence anymore and limit God through me.  I want to leap forward in my disposition of Yes to the Father.  I want to accomplish what He wills for me.



When I mull over my reasons for not always saying yes to the mission of course God is setting and wants to set me on, I think about my brother in the faith:  Moses.

God says to Moses, "Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring my people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt."


But dear Moses says, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?"


Doesn't Moses' responds remind you of what some of us are prone to do?

An old friend of mine started a blog for men based on this premise: the premise of not feeling worthy?  He named it,Who me be a leader?  He said that often times that is the first question that comes to the mind of men when God calls them to a task, especially leadership,  be it leading a family or leadership in the church.

Though that reaction may be true of men, it isn't exclusive of them is it?  We all have a great tendency to respond as the Bible tells us Moses responded.






The question that arises in my mind from meditating on that passage is, "not who we are," but "who is God?"


God sums up all the hoopla: "I AM WHO I AM.  Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you."

Ladies, men, self, we can say yes to the mission God has for us for one simple reason.  I AM is the one who has chosen us for the task for "such a time as this."

But check this out, I AM doesn't stop with the call.  When I AM calls us for a task He equips us for the task. Not only does He call and equip us, but He goes with us as He said to Moses: "... certainly I will be with you ..."





When we say yes to God we are able to witness "His Kingdom come and His will be done on earth, as it is in heaven."


Total obedience to Christ can transform an ordinary life into a remarkable journey, as we see in the life of Moses.
Partner with God in all of your decisions and actions.  Honoring God produces a life of deep joy and great purpose. ~ Lysa Terkerust


Say yes to God today Christian.

~

For those of you who are new to Angela talks about ... Every Monday I participate in the Gratitude Community with Ann Voskamp.  The Gratitude Community is where some of us bloggers get together and share our list of recordings from prior weeks.  It's a list of gifts that God has given to us.  This concept became the foundation to Ann's book, "One Thousand Gifts: A dare to live fully right where you are."

I am on my way to one thousand.  Here's my gratitude list for this week #'s 182 - 199:

~ for being loved.  The death of my daddy brought out so much kindness & love from others toward me.  I am so very grateful for each and every one of you.

~ the solace I find in writing!

~ family!

~ hanging out in the hot, humid Houston  furnace.

~ salvation

~ being alive & healthy

~ salads

~ cold refreshing drinks

~ rest

~ books

~ fabric softener

~ the voice of my husband when he comes home from work.

~ the voice of my children

~ smiles in the house

~ sounds of children playing

~ kissing my children

~ hugs

~ phone calls from special people

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!