Deliberately Focusing On Starting My Business: Pushing Ideas To Exposure



"Focus on the work, not the fear that comes from doing the work."

There's a lot of fear that comes with starting a new business.

"What makes you think you can do this," your mind asks you about a thousand times a day?  Mine did.  Everywhere I look I see better, more talented, savvy business owners.  You know the ones who really have it all together.  I must say the more I do ... work on my business, the less fraudulent I feel.

"So why try?"

I will die if I don't try.  I will never give up because of hard work and the lack of belief that others have in me.  I can do it.  I just wonder how good will I be.

I won't die a physically death if I don't give all that I have into starting my business.  But if I don't sincerely focus.  Deliberately focus.  I feel that the gift God has given me will cease and it will have been given to me in vain.



Creating is in my soul.  It's who I am.  It's what I do.  So yeah, I'm learning how to embrace, appreciate and share the creator in me with others.  But it's scary though.  You know why?  It's scary because I'm putting myself "out there," way out there.

I'm opening myself up for people to tell me what they think about what I do.  Strangers.

Seth Godin says in his book, Poke the Box, that "change is powerful, but change always comes with failure as its partner."

He says, "I believe that if you've got the platform and the ability to make a difference then this goes beyond should and reaches the level of must.  You must make a difference or you squander the opportunity, both degrades your own ability to contribute, and, more urgently, takes something away from the rest of us."




The simple thing that separates successful individuals from those who languish, Seth says, is the very thing that separates exciting and growing organizations from those that stagnate and die.

The winners have turned initiative into passion and a practice.

Go ahead, he continues, make a list.  Make a list of people and organizations you admire.  My guess is the seventh imperative is what sets them apart {7th imperative-to have the guts and the heart and the passion to ship... pushing ideas to exposure}.

The challenge, it turns out, isn't in perfecting your ability to know when to start and when to stand by.

The challenge is getting into the habit of starting.





xo, Angela blog subscription  | twitter | facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!