getting rid of the good to make room for the great

I'm loving Whitney English right now!

She just speaks my language y'all.  I went to her blog, today, and saw where she posted about leaving a conference with this quote stuck in her mind, "You've got to let go of the old to make way for the new."

This is one of my biggest problems!  I'm a get things started and to-do hoarder!

It's hard for me to let go of a project in order to make way for a newer one.  So what do I do?  I collect and store them.  I end up becoming so overwhelmed with it all until I will get still and do nothing, nothing but dream!



I often find myself becoming frustrated with myself regarding this, and told my husband that I wonder if I'm not ADHD.

I don't find myself asking which project is old, as Whitney discusses on her blog, but I do discard projects I've been working on the longest.  By discarding I mean putting them aside, forgetting about them even.  This is another reason why I am so elated over my the Day Designer planner by Whitney.  I truly see how it gives me focus and structure by having everything in a central place.  And it even forces me to narrow a lot down in the planning process before I ever get to the actually planning of my day.  It keeps me sane!

I'm like Whitney, I don't have all the answers.  Wisdom is teaching me though that the only way to get to my great is to get rid of some of my lingering projects, and the only way for me to do that is to learn how to say, 'no' and ' I can't.'

I won't say it because someone has asked me to do something necessarily bad or something that I don't agree with, or even dislike for that matter.  I will say it because I have learned that me staying focused, and moving forward must be a deliberate action on my part.

It is the only way that I can get rid of the good to make room for the great.  I won't be too rigid with my choices, but I will be deliberate in making them with one goal in mind: getting rid of the good to make room for the great!

I close with words from Whitney, "You've got to get rid of the good to make room for the great."



xoxo, Angela blog subscription  | twitter | facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!