Soul glances

Ipressed "publish post," and "Where hides the joy of the Lord" is published.  Still there is a gnawing sensation in the depths of my soul.  All is not as it should be.

I reflect on my own written words about "giving thanks" and I reflect on words of Ann Voskamp.  I ponder hard and give much thought.  I bow and utter more words to Him who understands.  Still soul flame flickers much.  Wicker is damp...flame continues to burn out.

Though I don't want to, I do the next thing while continuing to bow the soul and utter thanksgiving.  Still, the countenance isn't right.  A battle brews within.  Nevertheless, I continue the mind-chant, "eucharisteo always proceeds the miracle!"



Finally, the miracle came!  It was after I'd made the Spanish rice to accompany the refried beans and the tacos.  I was tired and grabbed my Bible, headed to the backyard for more chants of the heart.  I'd been reading Colossians all day, Sunday and Monday.  This time when I read this verse...a verse I'd just read numerous times that the flame grabbed strong.  The wicker and flame ignited strong and the heart spilled forth pure joy and heart praise.

Beyond all these things put on love, which is the prefect bond of unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts to which indeed you were called in one body, and be thankful.  Let the Word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.  Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. ~ Colossians 3:14-17
I reflect hard on the insight that God has just given me and I am changed.  I feel anxiety leave...flow away.  My body relaxes and I sigh.  Exhale big.  So thankful to be changed in that moment.  "The unexamined life is not worth living." ~ Socrates

The crux of the matter was simple.  First, I had stopped giving thanks.  I'd become too busy. And secondly, I'd stopped seeking things above, which means I opened myself up to forfeiting my peace.    My mind was no longer set on God's agenda, but on my own.  Instead of keeping a steadfast eye on God, I'd glanced over at "Tom" "Dick" and "Harry," and from where I was standing their grass seemed a lot more plush and greener than mine.  Eyes taken off Jesus will always cause us to sink.

"And may the Spirit let my blogging allow for simple soul glances." ~ Ann Voskamp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!