Stillness brings forth births

Today in the comings and goings of trying to help my mom prepare for the cremation of my father, trying to deal with the day-to-day family life going to and fro, trying to keep some semblance of normalcy, I became tempted to fret and worry.




The thing is this: The Lord, knowing me, His daughter, immediately told me upon my father's death Sunday— how not to act.  He does not want me taking the "weight" of the situation on my shoulders.  I felt Him saying.

I've shared my personality with you all before.  It is easy for me to become tempted and try to be everyones Savior- "helper."  It is in this process that I usually burn out, and become resentful. Knowing this about myself, I've been working hard these past days at keeping a balance within.  "Be still my daughter and see how the matter will fall."  Is what the ears of my heart hear.


Not only do I hear that utterance, but I realize that God wants me to know that He is God and not me.  I am not the Savior of anyone—not even myself.  So not only do I need to "be still and see how the matter will fall, but I need to be still and know that He is God."

When I say that I need to "be still and see how the matter will fall."  I am not saying that I am to be complacent.  I am simply saying that I need to wait for God's guiding.  Think before I move. And not move too much out of my emotions, or too fast.

At times we are tempted to feel like we should be working ... doing something.  God is saying to some of us, "The something I want you to do is to be still.  Sit quiet.  Listen. Thus the "doing something" becomes to sit still.  A seemingly nothingness.  Yet in stillness...in the seemingly doing of nothing, we find something.  We find strength ... refreshment.  A haven of rest, reflections, discernment, wisdom, guidance ...



This blog post was birth from stillness.  Something coming from a seemingly doing of nothing. 

Isn't that how it all started?  How we got here? 

"The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.  Then God said, 'Let there be ...'"  Genesis 1:2

"Then God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." ~ Genesis 2:7

In stillness.  In the seemingly doing of nothing a great manifestation of somethings can be birthed. 

Learn how to "be still to see how the matter will fall," and while being still remember that you are not being still doing "nothing."  God is at work knitting great things in the dark depths of your soul.  Working to bring forth a birthing of great things, all which come forth out of your stillness ... a seemingly doing of nothing.  Don't forget it is He who is God.  Not you.

"Be still and know that I am God." ~ Ps. 46:10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Valerie Elliot Shepard (daughter of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot)

Elisabeth Elliot update {7-01-2012}

The wives of the five American missionaries who were speared to death speak {and more pictures of Valerie Elliot Shepard & her family}. Keeping their story alive!